Sunday, September 9, 2018

Jane Reviews: Lightning and Lawmen by Shanna Hatfield

Series: Baker City Brides # 5
Genre: Historical Romance
Released: June 28, 2018
308 pages
About the Book:

How did a simple hello turn into something so complicated?

Love is about to leave one lawman thunderstruck in this sweet historical romance!
Cultured and full of grace, Delilah Robbins agrees to accompany her meteorologist father to his new post in Baker City, Oregon. Expecting a primitive place, she’s delighted to discover an up-and-coming town with plenty of surprises as well as a place she can turn into a sanctuary for her beloved birds. As she settles into life in the western town, she unwittingly creates a riff between two deputies when they both fall for her charms.

Deputy Dugan Durfey only meant to extend a friendly welcome to a newcomer. But the moment he set eyes on the meteorologist’s delightful daughter, Dugan’s heart was no longer his own. Since his best friend and fellow deputy suffered the same fate, Dugan struggles to do what’s right. He’ll fight jealousy, outlaws, and a wily raccoon to keep Delilah safe, but the greater battle lies in overcoming his fears to profess his love.
 
Filled with humor, adventure, and plenty of sweet romance, Lightning and Lawmen highlights the history of the era and blends it with the timeless feelings of discovering true love. 


Lightning and Lawmen Quote 1
 
My Rating & Thoughts:  ðŸŒŸ 🌟 🌟 🌟   (4 stars)

Delilah and her father have arrived in Baker City for her dad’s new job. Delilah’s first day in town introduces her to Seth and Dugan, two deputy’s who both take a liking to her. Can one of them win her heart? Both of these deputy’s have made appearances in previous books in the series, but we don’t really know them. Now is the chance to change that, while still taking place in Baker City and the occasional interaction with past characters I felt like majority of story was spent with new characters.

Right from the beginning I had chosen the man I wanted to win her favor, his heart of gold and quiet spirit of Dugan endured me to him. I loved how he did things for Delilah without expecting anything in return. Delilah is strong and independent, while continuing her job, building her garden and handling the home repairs she also takes on her father’s job while he is away. Delilah’s dad entertained me. He is not involved in a lot of the story, but the times we do get his input in her life had me smiling. Her interactions with Dugan and Seth make you wonder which man will win her favor in the end. The scene between Seth and Dugan at the dance felt like a flashback to a scene from one of the earlier stories and I was cracking up with how it was dealt with this time.

There is a mystery going on around town and danger get too close to Delilah for my comfort. I enjoyed how the danger was resolved, but didn’t like the shock of the connection. The antics of Delilah’s unusual pet were entertaining and I learned so much about meteorology in this book.

Thankfully my romantic spirit was not crushed when it was Dugan that seemed to turn her head and make her heart flutter. I really enjoyed this series and will be keeping a look out for more books from Ms. Hatfield.
  Lightning and Lawmen Quote 2
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed in this
review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)
JaneReads

No comments:

Post a Comment