Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Review: The Breakup Project by Carolyn Miller

Series: Original Six Hockey Romance #1
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Released: Dec. 29, 2021
370 pages
About the Book:

New Year. New Project. New Love?
What happens when the best-laid plans break a friendship?

As the twin of hockey’s hottest forward, romance-loving Bree Karlsson is used to being ignored, leading to a New Year’s resolution to not date any athlete in her attempt to find Mr. Right. But what happens when the man who might prove to be her personal Mr. Darcy is her brother’s hockey-playing best friend?

Mike Vaughan might be happy playing in Boston, but he’d be even happier if Bree could one day see him as more than a good friend. He agrees to help Bree with a special project in the hope she’ll finally see him as something more. But when a misunderstanding ends in a Valentine’s Day disaster, Bree realizes that her breakup project may have broken her friendship with Mike in two. Can she ever redeem her mistake?


My Rating & Thoughts:    


I'm a big hockey fan and enjoy reading romance stories so I was looking forward to this one. I liked Mike right off the bat, but Bree took much longer to warm up to...at the beginning she was very judgmental and not friendly to her brother's girlfriend. Yes Brent may have been straying from his Christian beliefs, but the way Bree acted wasn't going to encourage him to change his ways. We follow Bree and Mike trying to encourage Brent to walk his Christian faith and in the process learn that Mike had feelings for Bree. However Bree only sees him as a friend and has made a crazy New years resolution she is determined to stick to (even though her feelings may change). There was one scene in particular that had me hurting for Mike, I felt his hurt and wished Bree had not been so clueless. I enjoyed following the characters over the course of the year. Mike is a hockey player and we learn about the online hockey players Bible Study and follow talk of player trades, road trip games, contract negotiations, etc. However there wasn't a ton of hockey related stuff that even if you weren't a hockey fan you would be able to follow the story. I grew to like Bree as I got to know her more and saw her caring personality come through. I do wish she would have let her resolution go when she realized how it was holding her back. I really enjoyed seeing the characters everyday lives and following their interactions with friends and family members. The characters faith is discussed quite a bit as they pray for God to lead them and put their trust in Him for their future. I can't wait to read more in this series.

Favourite Quote: 
“This is life. Sometimes there are bumps in the road and we can decide to either push through and over or draw back and stagnate because it's too hard.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment