Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Review: A Gilded Lady by Elizabeth Camden

Series: Hope and Glory #2
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: June 2, 2020
351 pages
About the Book:

Caroline Delacroix is at the pinnacle of Washington high society in her role as secretary to the First Lady of the United States. But beneath the facade of her beauty, glamorous wardrobe, and dazzling personality, she's hiding a terrible secret. If she cannot untangle a web of foreign espionage, her brother will face execution for treason.

Nathaniel Trask is the newly appointed head of the president's Secret Service team. He is immediately attracted to Caroline's quick wit and undeniable charm, but his job leaves no room for distractions. Anarchist plots have led to mounting threats against the president, forcing him to put duty before his growing love for Caroline.

Amid the glamorous pageantry of Gilded Age Washington, DC, Caroline and Nathaniel face danger and heartbreak that shakes them to their core and tests all they know about love and sacrifice.


My Rating & Thoughts:    ⭐⭐


I wasn't sure about the character of Caroline when I met in her in book one, but I came to really like her through this one. She was a hard worker who wasn't always appreciated, but she never let that stop her. I loved her strength and determination. I enjoyed the interactions between her and Nathaniel. They are two very different personalities, but they suited each other well. At times, the story did progress a bit slow for my liking, but I was invested and needed to know what was going to happen. I liked that we were still following Luke's situation, but Caroline and Nathaniel and their jobs were the primary focus. At one particular scene, I had to pause reading to research whether or not this really happened in history (it did). I learned pieces of American history that I had no idea about. These characters learn some good lessons about balancing work and personal life. These are lessons we can put into effect in our own lives. I will be picking up book three soon in hopes of getting closure for Luke's situation. 

Favourite Quotes: 
“You mustn't let your failures define you.”

“Failure was a normal part of being human, not a permanent condition.” 

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment