Thursday, November 2, 2023

Review: The Spice King by Elizabeth Camden

Series: Hope and Glory #1
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Bethany House 
Released: Sept. 23, 2019
344 pages
About the Book:

Gray Delacroix has dedicated his life to building an acclaimed global spice empire, but it has come at a cost. Resolved to salvage his family before they spiral out of control, he returns to his ancestral home for good after years of traveling the world.

As a junior botanist for the Smithsonian, Annabelle Larkin has been charged with the impossible task of gaining access to the notoriously private Delacroix plant collection. If she fails, she will be out of a job and the family farm in Kansas will go under. She has no idea that in gaining entrance to the Delacroix world, she will unwittingly step into a web of dangerous political intrigue far beyond her experience.

Unable to deny her attraction to the reclusive business tycoon, Annabelle will be forced to choose between her heart and loyalty to her country. Can Gray and Annabelle find a way through the storm of scandal without destroying the family Gray is fighting to save?

My Rating & Thoughts:    


I enjoyed the way the story started and wanted to get to know the characters more but I found myself getting frustrated with Annabelle. I found the story got bogged down in the middle as it tried to encompass so many issues. I did like Gray, he may be a bit of a grump at times but he loves his siblings and tries to protect them. I am not all that interested in the food industry or politics, so at times I found myself not caring about what was happening. However I do agree with what they were fighting for in regards to the food labels. I liked getting to know the various siblings and saw growth in the character of Elaine as she learned to navigate her challenges, but I was not a fan of the marriage and understood why the mother wasn't happy. I went through various emotions with Annabelle, there were times I liked her and thought her brave, but at other times I was frustrated with her actions. By the end, I was okay with her as she worked to restore her relationship with Gray and his family. There was very little faith mentioned or discussed. I want to know what's going to happen with Gray's brother Luke that I will be continuing the series. 

Favourite Quote: 
“God had never promised them a life free of sorrow, only tools to hold and keep them through stormy days.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment