Monday, June 19, 2023

Review: The Shifting Current by Dani Pettrey

Series: Coastal Guardians #4
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: May 1, 2023
210 pages
About the Book:

An elusive killer. A false identity. A deadly maze of lies.

When Coast Guard Investigative Service Special Agent LOGAN PERRY’s beloved grandfather is murdered, Logan races to his hometown of Cauldron Creek, New Mexico to investigate the murder. His teammate and friend, EMMY THORTON, insists on joining him. Not a good idea—not when he loves her, but carries a secret that he knows will tear them apart.

Emmy knows Logan will pursue the investigation no matter the cost, and she won’t let the man she loves plunge into a dangerous situation alone. She needs to be at his side, even if he believes friendship is her only reason for joining him.

What looks like a robbery gone wrong rapidly shifts, drawing Emmy and Logan into a dizzying maze where nothing is as it appears. Every lead slips through their fingers as threats against them grow deadlier at each turn. Having only each other to rely on, their love for one another deepens, but will they live long enough to admit their attraction to each other?

They’re in the killer’s sights. One wrong move puts their future together and their lives on the line.

My Rating & Thoughts:    

This is a novella and features two team members that were more in the background support role in the previous three books. I liked them and wanted/needed to know if what I wanted for them happens. The guy that was not a Christian throughout the rest of the series has become a Christian by the time this one opens. While there is talk about him being new to Christ and learning to trust God, there is not much information provided on his conversion, after getting to know him in the previous books I was intrigued on how his conversion happened. I was disappointed I didn’t get to see the relationship develop and felt like I was missing that part. There is a ton of action and it is hard to believe it was a novella for the amount of stuff that happened, it could have been be a full-length book because so much happened. The previous three books were all set in North Carolina with the team working together, but this one takes a couple team members to New Mexico to investigate a murder and work on a case that hits close to home for one of them, but none of the other team members are involved. I missed team aspect. However, I did enjoy that my questions were answered in regards to what happens with two of the characters. 

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment