Thursday, June 15, 2023

Review: The Crushing Depths by Dani Pettrey

Series: Coastal Guardians #2
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: June 30, 2020
363 pages

About the Book:

They know the power and peril of the ocean.
But as they get closer to the deadly truth . . .
An even greater danger lurks just beneath the surface.


When an accident claims the life of an oil-rig worker, Coast Guard Investigators Rissi Dawson and Mason Rogers are flown to the scene thirty-eight miles from shore. Tensions aboard the rig are high, and the death has everyone on edge. Environmental activists are threatening to do whatever it takes to stop the "plague on the environment" from continuing its work. Meanwhile, rumors are circulating on board about an ancient curse lurking in the depths below.

Mounting evidence shows the death might not have been an accident. Was the man killed by one of the activists or, more frighteningly, a member of his own crew? Rissi and Mason have to sort through not only numerous suspects, but also their own haunted pasts and their attraction to each other.

Just as the case seems about to break open, worse news arrives: a tropical storm has turned their way. Now they're cut off from any rescue--right where the killer wants them.
  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


Rissi from book one is the main character in this one, I was excited when I realized this as I wanted to know more about her when I was reading book one. However similar to my experience with book one I found myself more drawn to the secondary characters and their storyline than I was with the main storyline. I did enjoy getting to know more about Rissi and following her romance, but I struggled getting invested in the case she was working on. Rissi and her partner are investigating a case on oil-rig 38 miles off shore. On the way to scene stuff something happens that had me concerned for those involved, and later there were a few other incidents that had me intrigued, but I found myself struggling to follow everything that was happening at times as I didn’t completely understand the setting or operation. I did not really enjoy the way the ending wrapped up this case, it felt like it came out of the blue and left me asking how they figured that out. I also wasn’t a big fan of the way the romance felt rushed I didn’t feel like they really knew each other well enough as adults (they knew each other as kids). What saved this book for me was the secondary storyline, I was drawn to the characters involved and that case had me on the edge of my seat hoping they would be able to catch the culprit before someone I cared about got hurt. I liked the way the friendship between two characters particular characters and had me hoping for more. My favourite parts of these book were the way the team all worked together to figure out what was happening and how to put a stop to it. 

Favourite Quote: 

“Living in the past only gives people who've hurt you more power over you. It's best to forget them and move forward, never looking back.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment