Monday, May 29, 2023

Review: Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales by Randy Singer

Genre: Legal Thriller
Publisher: Tyndale House
Released: May 1, 2013
448 pages
About the Book:

Landon Reed is an ex-quarterback convicted of organizing a points-shaving scheme. During his time in prison, he found forgiveness and faith and earned his law degree. Now he longs for an opportunity to prove his loyalty and worth. "Be careful what you ask for."

Harry McNaughton is one of the founding partners of McNaughton & Clay--and the only lawyer willing to take a chance employing an ex-con-turned-lawyer. Though Landon initially questions Harry's ethics and methods, it's clear the crusty old lawyer has one of the most brilliant legal minds Landon has ever encountered.

The two dive into preparing a defense for one of the highest-profile murder trials Virginia Beach has seen in decades when Harry is gunned down in what appears to be a random mugging. Then two more lawyers are killed when the firm's private jet crashes. Authorities suspect someone has a vendetta against McNaughton & Clay, leaving Landon and the remaining partner as the final targets.

As Landon struggles to keep the firm together, he can't help but wonder, is the plot related to a shady case from McNaughton & Clay's past, or to the murder trial he's neck-deep in now? And will he survive long enough to find out?

My Rating & Thoughts:    

We follow Landon and Kerri Reed. Landon has just been released from prison after a point-shaving scandal, he is a changed man and is now a first-year lawyer. Landon is trying to redeem himself and Kerri has stood by him through it all. His past will always be with him and is constantly thrown in his face, but he tries to put it behind him and be a better person now. His first case becomes much bigger than ever imagined. His mentor and the lawyer that took him under his wing is murdered, shortly after another two lawyers from the firm are killed. Can they figure out what is going on and why the firm lawyers are being targeted? I was worried for Landon and Kerri.

There were quite a few separate storylines introduced that made me wonder why and how they were included, and I struggled with all the football references. While I didn’t always follow what was happening, I was invested in the characters of Landon and Kerri. I loved how they worked together and tried to support one another even when their jobs pulled them in separate directions. They were not perfect and had their struggles and insecurities. There was one character that I did not trust and while I was right, I should have been suspicious of a few other as well. I especially liked the friendship that Billy provided to Landon and Kerri. I was rooting for him to save the day when trouble was obvious. The twist at the end shocked me, I had not seen it coming and did not suspect it at all. While I liked the main characters, I struggled with following the story at times and felt like it became very layered and twisted. 


(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Check out my reviews of other books by this author: 

   

The Judge 

No comments:

Post a Comment