Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Review: Where There's Smoke by Susan May Warren

Series: Montana Fire #1
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: SDG Publishing
Released: May 31, 2016
240 pages
About the Book:

She’s a smokejumper afraid of fire…

Kate Burns is a legendary smoke jumper, known for her courage and willingness to risk everything to get the job done. Only she has a secret, one she won’t admit to anyone.

He can’t forget the love they once shared…

Supervisor Jed Ransom commands the Jude County Smoke Jumpers with a reputation as a calm, level-headed leader. Kate is the only one who’s ever gotten under his skin.

They must face the flames together…

A raging wildfire in the mountains of Montana brings Kate and Jed together to train up a new team of jumpers. Suddenly, they must face the past they’ve been running from and the secrets that keep them apart. When an arsonist goes after their team, Kate and Jed must face their deepest fears—and learn to rely on each other as they fight a blaze that could destroy them all.
 

My Rating & Thoughts:    

I struggled to connect with these characters and understand their behaviour. As I didn’t connect with either character, I did not become invested in the story or events. Some of the actions of the characters just annoyed me as well. Kate is having a nightmare and Jed wakes her up with kiss even though the two of them are not romantically involved. Umm what? Jed and Reuben suddenly start wrestling in the living room because Reuben moved the furniture and then their fight ends suddenly, and then they just return to what they were doing. What? I get being mad about the furniture being moved but didn’t understand why the physical fight and how they can just return to normal after that, but maybe that’s a guy thing.

I have read other books featuring smoke jumpers and I think I kept comparing this story to the others I’ve read and this one just didn’t work for me. Neither character is a Christian at the beginning of the book but over the course of the story they learn about God and His love for them. We see them grow into a relationship with Christ. This book does end with a cliff-hanger, but I don’t feel compelled to pick up book two. 


Favourite Quote: 
“We're always going to overwhelmed, disheartened by our own stupidity, even afraid. Faith however, says, don't panic God - the One who loves you - has your back. He already knows what you need and want to provide it.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

1 comment:

  1. Good review, Jeanette! I have not read this one, but have read several others by the author and really enjoyed them. I think I will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete