Saturday, January 14, 2023

Review: Have Yourself a Christiansen Christmas by Susan May Warren

Series: Christiansen Family #7
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: SDG Publishing
Released: Nov. 25, 2021
234 pages
About the Book:

Please…come home for Christmas…

It's Christmas in the winter wonderland town of Deep Haven, and the Christiansen kids are all heading home for the holidays. But no one feels very merry.
Grace is worried about her husband's life-changing illness…
Eden is facing devastating news…
Casper is in over his head (of course!)…
Amelia is dodging a walk down the aisle…
Owen…well, Owen just nearly died, again…
But it's Darek who has news that just might destroy the family legacy.
The trip home for all is filled with secrets, memories and old dreams. But when they discover the real reason they've been asked home for the holidays, it will shake their world. It'll take a disaster for them to discover that home is the place for answers, hope and most of all…miracles.

 


My Rating & Thoughts:    ⭐⭐

If you haven’t read any of the previous books in the series, I do not recommend reading this one. There are so many characters and a lot of references to their backgrounds, it would be confusing and overwhelming. When the book begins each Christiansen kid is dealing with some sort of challenge. After reading the first six books and getting to know these characters in those it was depressing to see how they are doing now and what they were dealing with. As I got further into the book it felt like it was getting more and more depressing, but it also portrayed real life. Life isn’t perfect and there will be challenges everyone is faced with. There were a couple situations where I just didn’t understand the characters struggles, it felt forced and a bit out of character for them from the previous books. I was surprised at how much I was rooting for Owen as he hadn’t been one of my favourite characters, but I loved the direction his life was headed at the end of this book. This story shows just how important communication between spouses and family members is. The book may start depressing but it does end on a happy note with each character embracing God’s love for them and learning to lean on him. I loved the scene of the girls in the church washroom and the way feelings and situations were revealed. 

Favourite Quote: 
“Life doesn't have to be perfect to be happy. Sometimes you have to find the happy places between the pain.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment