Friday, January 6, 2023

Review: Critical Threat by Lynette Eason

Series: Extreme Measures #3
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Revell
Released: Jan. 3, 2023
304 pages
About the Book:

FBI Special Agent Grace Billingsley tracks serial killers, using her skills as a psychiatrist and behavioral analyst to get dangerous people off the street and safely behind bars. But prison psychiatrist Sam Monroe knows that just because a killer is incarcerated doesn't mean they're not a threat. His own father, Peter, is a serial killer--in prison but certainly not out of Sam's life, as much as he wishes he was.

When bodies start showing up with Peter's MO, Sam and Grace are both called in to consult. They've met before--and though Grace thought they'd made a real connection, Sam ghosted her. They'll have to get past the awkwardness and mistrust to solve this case--especially because it's about to get personal.






My Rating & Thoughts:    


Grace is a Behavioural Analyst for the FBI and Sam is a prison psychiatrist and the son of serial killer. Grace gets called in to work on a serial killer case and Sam is brought in as a consultant not only due to his profession but because of the similarities of this killer to his father’s killings.  Sam and Grace had previously met and there is a connection there, but Sam had been hesitant due to his family drama. The serial killer starts coming after Grace, but she will not allow his threats to stop her from figuring out who he is. In addition to their work pressures Sam and Grace both have personal pressures they are dealing with. Grace’s brother is in the hospital and Sam is raising two teenagers and dealing with his dad, who is in prison, trying to establish contact with him. The characters felt very real to life, work isn’t their only focus they also have to deal with their personal stuff as well. I enjoyed watching them together trying to figure out who the serial killer was. I did have suspicions about who was behind it, and I was so excited when it was revealed that I suspected the right person. I shouted I knew it! The only issue I really had was that I became a bit confused about what exactly Sam’s role was because at times he seemed more of an agent than a psychiatrist. I did like the message that we can’t change actions from our past all we can do is ask forgiveness and move forward and God will accept us as we are. This is dealing with a serial killer and you know what has happened to the victims, but I did not find the killings all that descriptive and had no issues reading it. I really enjoyed this story and loved the mix of work and personal life as it made the characters feel realistic. 

Favourite Quotes: 
“We all have our pasts, our mistakes. Our shame. I'm no one to judge.”

(I received an ARC of this book from Revell through NetGalley; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment