Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Best of Intentions by Susan Anne Mason (Review)

Series: Canadian Crossings #1
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: July 3, 2018
347 pages
About the Book:

In the aftermath of tragedy, Grace hopes to reclaim her nephew from the relatives who rejected her sister because of her class. Under an alias, she becomes her nephew's nanny to observe the formidable family up close. Unexpectedly, she begins to fall for the boy's guardian, who is promised to another. Can Grace protect her nephew . . . and her heart?












  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


I loved these main characters and felt their anguish. Grace arrives in Toronto to some terrible news and then needs to make a decision on what she is going to do. A lie allows her an opportunity she couldn't imagine having without the lie. Someone tells her early on, 'Nothing but heartache will come from this.', and they were correct. Virginia and Andrew come from a family with money and feel like they have certain expectations placed on them and struggle with aligning those expectations to how they imagine their future. I loved Virginia from the moment her and Grace met. I was extremely proud of her when she stood up for herself and acted on what she wanted rather than following who her parents wanted her to marry. I kept hoping Andrew would wise up and follow Virginia's lead. I don't encourage lying, but with Grace in such a difficult situation, I understood how she couldn't see any other way. I did not want to put this book down, and I had to know what was going to happen. Could there be a way for harmony to exist? Faith is interspersed throughout the story, and Grace especially leans on God for wisdom. Each time a character stood up for themselves or another person, I was proud of them. The clearing of the air between father and son near the end made me like that character much more than I did before. My two negatives are one - I feel like the ending wrapped up too quickly. And second, the prologue didn't seem to add anything to the story. I did really enjoy watching people from different status classes come together and erase the social norms of the day.

Favourite Quote: 
“Only God can change a person's heart, Grace. All we have control over are our own feelings and actions.”
(I borrowed this book from the library; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment