Friday, February 2, 2024

Embers in the London Sky by Sarah Sundin (Review)

Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Revell
Releases: Feb. 6, 2024
363 pages

About the Book:

As the German army invades the Netherlands in 1940, Aleida van der Zee Martens escapes to London to wait out the Occupation. Separated from her three-year-old son, Theo, in the process, the young widow desperately searches for her little boy even as she works for an agency responsible for evacuating children to the countryside.

When German bombs set London ablaze, BBC radio correspondent Hugh Collingwood reports on the Blitz, eager to boost morale while walking the fine line between truth and censorship. But the Germans are not the only ones Londoners have to fear as a series of murders flame up amid the ashes.

The deaths hit close to home for Hugh, and Aleida needs his help to locate her missing son. As they work together, they grow closer and closer, both to each other and the answers they seek. But with bombs falling and continued killings, they may be running out of time.
  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


A world war two story filled with mystery, suspense, and romance. The opening was heartbreaking for both main characters. Aleida arrives in London searching for her son and meets Hugh, a correspondent for the BBC who is intrigued by her story but restricted by his editor on what he can broadcast. I liked both characters as I got to know them, but Hugh was definitely my favorite. My heart broke for Aleida when she made a very difficult decision, but it also made me respect her all the more. A beautiful example of what Christ did for us. I did feel like the story dragged a little at times and there were parts where I struggled to follow what exactly was happening at times or how they got where they were, but by the 50% mark I was fully invested. I needed to know if Aleida would find her son and who was responsible for the other stuff that was happening. There were a couple of things I suspected would happen, but that did not take away my enjoyment of the story. I learned a lot about life in London during this time period. I enjoyed my time with this story.

(I received an ARC of this book from Revell; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment