Monday, July 10, 2023

Review: When Twilight Breaks by Sarah Sundin

Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Revell 
Released: February 2, 2021
348 pages

About the Book:

Evelyn Brand is an American foreign correspondent determined to prove her worth in a male-dominated profession and to expose the growing tyranny in Nazi Germany. To do so, she must walk a thin line. If she offends the government, she could be expelled from the country—or worse. If she does not report truthfully, she'll betray the oppressed and fail to wake up the folks back home.

Peter Lang is an American graduate student working on his PhD in German. Disillusioned with the chaos in the world due to the Great Depression, he is impressed with the prosperity and order of German society. But when the brutality of the regime hits close, he discovers a far better way to use his contacts within the Nazi party—to feed information to the shrewd reporter he can't get off his mind.

As the world marches relentlessly toward war, Evelyn and Peter are on a collision course with destiny.
  

My Rating & Thoughts:    

Evelyn is a journalist working for the American News Service in Germany. She is fiercely independent and must work to prove herself in a male dominated profession. She meets Peter while on an assignment to interview American students studying in Germany. She has had bad experiences with men and tries hard to keep Peter at arm’s length. Over time they become friends and slowly learn to trust one another. Events happen that require Evelyn to depend on Peter. I really enjoyed watching the relationship develop between Peter and Evelyn. The beginning started a bit slow for me, but as I got to know the characters, I became more invested in the story and was hooked to know how it would end. I loved the determination of Peter and how he treated Evelyn. I really liked these characters. Because I read this after reading Until Leaves Fall in Paris and The Sound of Light it was fun to see characters I knew from those books mentioned in this one.

Favourite Quote: 
“Don't you know that God makes us strong? He didn't create us to be completely independent but interdependent. That's why he gave us families. That's why he gave us friends. That's why he gave us himself.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment