Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Review: Blue Skies Tomorrow by Sarah Sundin

Series: Wings of Glory #3
Genre: Historical Romance 
Publisher: Revell
Released: Aug. 1, 2011
419 pages

About the Book:

In a time of peril, can they find the courage to confront their fears and embrace a love that lasts?

When her husband becomes a casualty of the war in the Pacific, Helen Carlisle throws herself into volunteering for the war effort to conceal her feelings. But keeping up appearances as the grieving widow of a hometown hero is taking its toll. Soon something is going to give.

Lt. Raymond Novak prefers the pulpit to the cockpit. His stateside job training B-17 pilots allows him the luxury of a personal life--and a convenient excuse to ignore his deepest fear. When the beautiful Helen catches his eye and captures his heart, he is determined to win her hand.

But when Ray and Helen are called upon to step out in faith and put their reputations and their lives on the line, can they meet the challenges that face them? And can their young love survive until blue skies return?
  

My Rating & Thoughts:    

Helen is a young war widow trying to raise her young son. Ray is a pastor turned pilot who has been training pilots on the home front until they change regulations that trainers must have combat experience. This prompts Ray to question if he is a coward by serving on the home front rather than fighting in the war overseas. It took me a bit to connect with these characters but once I found out that Helen was dealing with a really dark secret I began to really care about her and want her secret to be revealed so that she can move towards healing. I was pleased with the way Ray handled the information Helen shared. I didn’t connect with him like I had with his brothers in the previous books, but I still was interested in seeing him find confidence in himself and face his fears. I understood his struggle with having to fly the bomber planes in the war effort. This book tackles a really tough topic and some scenes were extremely hard to read. The treatment Helen goes through is so wrong, I hurt for her. While it quickly become obvious that there are certain characters that are no good, there was one that I was suspicious of right from the beginning. Eventually it was proven that I had a right to be suspicious.

This story was hard to read, both what was happening in America and what was happening overseas, but it was inspiring to watch the growth of the characters. I was so happy when Helen’s situation was revealed to others. I did struggle at the parts where the German language was inserted, I understand this was done because of the setting and to make it authentic to what was happening, but I found it hard to understand bits of the interaction. The faith element was really well done.

I enjoyed the way this book wrapped up the series and would recommend reading the whole series. It must be read in order as books 2 & 3 overlap a little bit of the book prior. Learning to turn to and trust God was a strong message in all 3 books. 


Favourite Quote: 
“Honesty is important, but so is discretion.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment