Thursday, August 24, 2023

Review: The Heart's Charge by Karen Witemeyer

Series: Hanger's Horsemen #2
Genre: Historical Romance 
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: June 1, 2021
379 pages
About the Book:

For years they've been nomads for justice, but a final mission may just lead their hearts home.

Members of the legendary Hanger's Horsemen, Mark Wallace and Jonah Brooks arrive in Llano County, Texas, to deliver a steed, never expecting they'd help deliver a baby as well. Left with an infant to care for, they head to a nearby foundling home, where Mark encounters the woman he nearly married a decade ago.

After failing at love, Katherine Palmer has dedicated her life to caring for children, teaming up with Eliza Southerland to start Harmony House. Eliza understands the pain of not fitting society's mold, being illegitimate and of mixed ancestry. Yet those are the very attributes that lead her to minister to outcast children. The taciturn Jonah intrigues her by defying all her stereotypes of men, but there are secrets behind his eyes—ghosts from wars past and others still being waged.

When the Horsemen hear rumors of missing children, they stay to investigate, sticking close to Harmony House and its beautiful owners. As they work together to uncover the truth, love and danger grow hand in hand until a final sinister scheme threatens to destroy them all.

  
My Rating & Thoughts:    

I loved this book. It includes a dual romance, and I was rooting for both relationships equally. The opening scene had me hooked, and the story just builds off of that moment. There were some moments that made me very concerned for certain people and had me turning the pages quickly to find out what was going to happen next. There were quite a few characters, but each one was unique, and it was easy to keep track of who was who. I loved how one horse in particular played such a special role, not only with his rider but with the woman character as well. I liked how the faith talks between characters felt natural. I do wish the whole horsemen gang were together for more of the story. The romance was nicely done and left me pleased with the outcome. I hope I get to see these characters again in the next book.


Favourite Quotes: 
“You can't control what people say, what they do, or how they think. All you can control is what you say, do, and think. Control the mind first, son, and the rest will follow. Pain and anger narrow our vision. Take a higher perspective. Even the vilest man is made in the image of God and loved by him.”

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment