Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Review: At Love's Command by Karen Witemeyer

Series: Hanger's Horsemen #1
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: June 2, 2020
379 pages
About the Book:

Haunted by the horrors of war, ex-cavalry officer Matthew Hanger leads a band of mercenaries known as Hanger's Horsemen who have become legends in 1890s Texas. They defend the innocent and obtain justice for the oppressed. But when a rustler's bullet leaves one of them at death's door, they're the ones in need of saving.

Dr. Josephine Burkett is used to men taking one look at her skirts and discounting her medical skills. What she's not used to is having a man change his mind in a heartbeat and offer to assist her in surgery. Matthew Hanger's dedication to his friend during recovery earns Josephine's respect, and when she hears of her brother's abduction, he becomes her only hope for rescue.

Matt has stared down ruthless outlaws, betrayal, and injury, but when a bossy lady doctor crawls under his skin, his heart is tempted to surrender. And when she is caught in the crossfire, he may have to sacrifice everything—even his team—to save her.
  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


I found myself very confused about what was happening at the beginning of the story, but once I got past the intro scene I quickly became hooked on the characters. There is a lot of throughout the whole story. Dr. Jo is a woman in a man's profession and has had to work hard to prove herself and earn the respect of the community. When Matt first meets her, he is shocked to discover Dr. Jo is a woman, but he immediately gives her the respect that she deserves and follows her orders. I really enjoyed watching these two interact and loved the strength and determination they both showed to help others. It was nice to see the inclusion of faith and scripture in everyday life. Before each mission Matt would turn to 'Preach' and ask for a verse, I loved this. I really enjoyed watching the romance build naturally and the way the horseman group interacted and treated one another. Each played an individual role in their group, and they listened and supported one another opinions. There was a certain character that did a stupid thing that threatened another's life, but they worked to redeem themselves once they realized how wrong they were. I liked the forgiveness shown to them. There is a scene where certain characters are realizing exactly how God was there always providing for them, even through the challenges. I liked how this was included because it was a great example of how if we take a few moments to reflect we will be able to see God at work in our lives. I can't wait to get to know the other horsemen better.


Favourite Quotes: 
“You can't undo the past, but you can learn from it.”

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment