Thursday, July 25, 2024

To Steal a Heart by Jen Turano (Review)

Series: The Bleecker Street Inquiry Agency #1
Genre: Historical Fiction 
Publisher: Bethany House 
Released: November 1, 2020
361 pages
About the Book:

After spending her childhood as a street thief, Gabriella Goodhue thought she'd put her past behind her until a fellow resident at her boardinghouse is unjustly accused of theft. Using her old skills to prove her friend's innocence, Gabriella unexpectedly encounters Nicholas Quinn, the man she once considered her best friend—until he abandoned her.

After being taken under the wing of a professor who introduced him into society and named him as his heir, Nicholas is living far removed from his childhood life of crime. As a favor to a friend, Nicholas agreed to help clear the name of an innocent woman, never imagining he'd be reunited with the girl he thought lost to him forever.

As Gabriella and Nicholas are thrown together into one intrigue after another, their childhood affection grows into more, but their newfound feelings are tested when truths about their past are revealed and danger follows their every step.


My Rating & Thoughts:    


While I liked the main characters of Gabriella and Nicholas it was the supporting characters, in particular Daphne, Gus, Philip and Eunice; that I really enjoyed. Each one added their own element to the story and had me laughing at times. Gabriella and Nicholas reconnect after many years in an unusual situation and it had me questioning what their motives were. They are now seen as being in two different standings within society than they once were and I enjoyed how they didn't let that stop them from being friends and doing what was right. One stands up for what they believe is right even if it will affect their status. I enjoyed following them trying to solve the various cases and figuring out their friendship and discovering feelings for one another. I felt for the characters when they learned things about their background that they did not know and wasn't pleasant. I was impressed with the way handled the news and how they responded. One of the characters in particular struggled with feelings that God had abandoned them but discovered that God was providing for them all along. This story kept me hooked and wanting to know how it was going to turn out. Knowing this is the first book in a series I kept trying to match characters up and guessing which characters may get together in future books... lol. I'm looking forward reading the next books and spending more times with all these characters.

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment