Thursday, December 7, 2023

Review: The Prince of Spies by Elizabeth Camden

Series: Hope and Glory #3
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Bethany House 
Released: Feb. 16, 2021
334 pages
About the Book:

Luke Delacroix has the reputation of a charming man-about-town in Gilded Age Washington, D.C. In reality, he is secretly carrying out an ambitious agenda in Congress. His current mission is to thwart the reelection of Congressman Clyde Magruder, his only real enemy in the world.

But trouble begins when Luke meets Marianne Magruder, the congressman's only daughter, whose job as a government photographer gives her unprecedented access to sites throughout the city. Luke is captivated by Marianne's quick wit and alluring charm, leading them both into a dangerous gamble to reconcile their feelings for each other with Luke's driving passion for vital reforms in Congress.

Can their newfound love survive a political firestorm, or will three generations of family rivalry drive them apart forever?



My Rating & Thoughts:    ⭐⭐


I fell in love with the character of Luke in the previous two books, so I was excited to read this one. I still liked Luke, but I struggled with Marianne. There were times I liked her and times I was disappointed in her actions. Luke is a strong character and is determined to fight for what he believes is right even when it is hard. Marianne may have grown up in a wealthy family, but the way they act and treat one another is deplorable at times. It frustrated me when she wasn't willing to speak up to protect someone she loved. Instead, she continued to abide by her family's wishes even when she saw how horrible their actions were. Finally, she did take a stand, but it took her a long time to get there. I can't get over the actions of one particular character, just how evil they were towards their son and their mother and had no remorse when called out. I learned so much about a point in history that I had no idea about and had such an important impact on the food industry. I especially loved that we got to witness a certain character's wedding. I do wish we saw more of them, but I enjoyed following Luke and seeing him fight for his beliefs and find love.

Favourite Quote: 
“Paradise on earth didn't exist, but God still blessed them with the tools they needed to be happy, even in a sometimes imperfect, fallen world.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment