Saturday, December 2, 2023

Review: Broken Things by Andrea Boeshaar

Series: Faded Photograph #1
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Barbour Publishing
Released: April 1, 2003
346 pages
About the Book:

Returning to her hometown, Chicago, Allie Littenberg learns her actions had worse repercussions than she realized. Especially for Jack Callahan, the handsome Chicago cop she loved, but left. She finds Jack is now a bitter shell of a man, his tenderness erased by years of anguish. Can God use Allie to not only mend the hurts in her own family, but also bring peace to Jack, his son, and estranged wife? Allie is compelled to find out.










 

My Rating & Thoughts:    


I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I was hesitant going in because after reading the summary it didn't seem like a book that would capture me. However I became invested in the characters and was rooting for things to work out. I really liked Steve & Nora, they made Allie feel welcome even after all the years that had passed. And we find out how they stepped in and helped Jake with Logan was heartwarming. Logan has turned into a wonderful young man despite circumstances with his mom. I enjoyed following his and Marilee's story, the way they handled the trials makes me believe things will work out for them. I was saddened to find out what happened to Jack and why he has changed so much from who he was when Allie first met him, the pastor reacted badly and it had a such a negative impact. I suspected the situation with the patient and when it was revealed I wasn't shocked at all. They are some really hard moments in this book that the characters go through, but faith and trust in God plays a vital role and openly discussed by so many. I saw the characters grow over the course of the story and learn lessons throughout. The ending was a bit abrupt, I was hoping for more of sign of what the future holds for a few characters, but I understand this is a series so maybe that will come later on. Overall I enjoyed the faith shared and found myself thinking about these characters when not reading.

Trigger warning - there was some elder abuse detailed that made me uncomfortable and mad to read.

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment