Monday, October 9, 2023

Review: Hope Between the Pages by Pepper Basham

Series: Doors to the Past #2
Genre: Dual-timeline
Publisher: Barbour Publishing
Released: April 1, 2021
252 pages
About the Book:

Clara Blackwell helps her mother manage a struggling one-hundred-year old family bookshop in Asheville, North Carolina, but the discovery of a forgotten letter opens a mystery of a long-lost romance and undiscovered inheritance which could save its future. Forced to step outside of her predictable world, Clara embarks on an adventure with only the name Oliver as a hint of the man’s identity in her great-great-grandmother’s letter. From the nearby grand estate of the Vanderbilts, to a hamlet in Derbyshire, England, Clara seeks to uncover truth about family and love that may lead to her own unexpected romance.









My Rating & Thoughts:    ⭐⭐


This is a dual-timeline story featuring Sadie in 1915 and her great-granddaughter, Clara, in the present day. I quickly fell in love with Sadie and was immediately sucked into her story, then we meet Oliver and I loved him just as much if not more. The way he treated Sadie and stood up for what he felt was right made me adore him. I did not get as connected to the modern day characters as I did to the historical characters. Even though I knew what was going to happen to Oliver before it happened, I teared up when reading about it. I would have liked to know a bit more about Sadie's life when she initially opened the bookstore. She was a great character and I loved seeing her strength to overcome. There were lots of book discussions and a heavy bookstore/library theme throughout that I just adored. The descriptions were so wonderfully done that I felt like I was right there seeing it for myself. I struggled to understand the uncle's malice toward Clara and the bookshop, and why the family knew so little about Sadie's background. Overall though I really enjoyed my read through this book.

Favourite Quotes: 
“The best way to manage the real world is to keep a firm hold on an imaginary one.”

“Some of our greatest losses lead us to choices that God uses for bigger things than we could have ever imagined.” 

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment