Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Jane Reviews: Driftwood Bay by Irene Hannon

Series: Hope Harbour # 5
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Revell
Releases: April 2, 2019
352 pages
About the Book:
After tragedy upends her world, Jeannette Mason retreats to the tiny Oregon seaside town of Hope Harbor to create a new life. Vowing to avoid emotional attachments, she focuses on running her lavender farm and tea-room--until a new neighbor with a destructive dog and a forlorn little girl invades her turf. But she needn't worry. Dr. Logan West is too busy coping with an unexpected family, a radical lifestyle change, and an unruly pup to have any interest in his aloof and disagreeable neighbor.

Yet when both Jeannette and Logan find themselves pulled into the life of a tattered Christian family fleeing persecution in war-torn Syria, might they discover that love sometimes comes calling when it's least expected?




 
My Rating & Thoughts:    🌟 🌟 🌟    (3 stars) 

I had fallen in love with Hope Harbor through the previous books in this series and was really excited to return. However I found myself not as drawn into this story as I have been with the previous ones. While I enjoyed getting to know the new characters and reconnecting with previous ones I found the story moved a little slow for my liking. I did not experience the ‘I can’t put this down’ feeling. The descriptions of the landscape captured my heart and would love to visit Oregon coast someday.

Each character is dealing with the loss of loved ones and trying to figure out how to overcome the tragedies in their lives. Each respond in different ways and it takes a frightening incident to make some of them realize what is right in front of them. I loved the message that actions and words need to be combined, you can’t show one without the other.

Out of all the characters Logan’s situation pulled at my heart the most, he has lost his brother and mother and is now responsible for raising his niece. He has changed his whole life for Molly and is trying hard to bond with her yet she seems to always pull away from him each time they begin to connect. Jeannette has chosen to purposefully isolate herself from others for fear of being hurt, but when the new family arrives in town she feels pulled between helping and keeping distance. Miriam is a survivor, she has been through so much and could have responded the same way her son did but instead she chose joy. Thomma is bitter and wants to stay mad at God. Two little girls connect without even speaking the same language and teach the adults around them so much.
 
My favourite parts were the chats with Charlie and the wisdom that he offered the characters. I think the best advice he gave was: “Don’t let fear stop you from being everything God intended you to be.” This is a piece of wisdom I will take away from this story.
 
(I received an ARC of this book from Revell through NetGalley; opinions expressed
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)


Other Books in the Series:
 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment