Thursday, January 17, 2019

#Throwback Thursday: Lone Witness

TBT - Lone Witness
It’s Throwback Thursday! Today I am resharing my review of Lone Witness by Rachel Dylan. This is book two of her Atlanta Justice Series and book three releases early next month (Feb. 5). I loved this book and highly recommend this series if you enjoy legal suspense with a touch of romance.

About the Book:
Prosecutor Sophie Dawson's first job in the White Collar division of the Fulton County D.A.'s office is to build a case against a local bank employee who may be cheating clients. But when circumstances beyond her control leave her as the only witness to a double homicide involving a vengeful gang, her world is turned upside down.

Former Atlanta police officer turned private security guard Cooper Knight is hired to ensure that Sophie is kept safe. But as threats escalate, they don't know who they can trust.

Sophie is determined not to back down, but her bank case gets more complicated by the day, and the gang will stop at nothing to keep her from testifying. Sophie wants to take a stand for what's right--but can Cooper, who is determined not to be distracted by their growing attraction, keep her safe so that she can finish her pursuit for justice?
 
 
Review by JaneReads: (originally posted April 22/18)

I was sucked into this story right from the beginning. After a long day at work Sophie stops at a store to pick up some food and ends up witnessing a double murder. Shortly after this she begins to receive threats on her life so her father hires Cooper to protect her while the case goes to trial. As an assistant district attorney it is possible that Sophie may have some other enemies, it is up to Cooper and his team to keep her safe and try to figure out who is really behind the threats. I was intrigued to see what was going to happen and find out what was really going on. I did not want to put the book down.

There are multiple mysteries and storylines going on throughout that could have almost been three separate stories, but they are interweaved in a way that makes it feel like one full real life possible story. Ms. Dylan did a wonderful job of keeping me in the dark about certain characters, I thought I knew who was working for who but it ended up taking turns I was never expecting. This was definitely much more suspense-filled than a romance story, but the romance added to the story and did not distract you.

The two main characters are Cooper and Sophie. Sophie learns that being a witness is much different than being the prosecutor, but she handles it with courage in order to seek justice for the victims. Because of past experiences Cooper has set up some boundaries for his life, he knows that being around Sophie may get him wanting to break his own rules but he is determined to keep their working relationship professional. However the longer he spends with Sophie he finds himself more attracted to her. Can he overcome his fears that caused him set these boundaries? I really liked both of these characters, individually they were two strong individuals but together they created a force that could overcome what was thrown at them. I wasn’t a huge fan of defense attorney Ashley, I just couldn’t cheer for her side of the case, but I was very proud the step she took at the end. I did think the storyline of her and Patrick’s interactions after the case didn’t really fit in with the story by that point, however it was nice to get positive closure with them.

Even though this story is book 2 in the series, it can easily be followed without reading the previous book. I loved this book! The mystery keep me intrigued, had twists I never saw coming, characters that had me rooting for them, and suspense that had me on the edge of my seat. If you are into suspense books, I highly recommend giving this one a try.

Original post can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment