Friday, March 15, 2024

The Screwtape Letter by CS Lewis (Review)

Genre: Non-Fiction
Released: Feb. 1942
222 pages
About the Book:

The story takes the form of a series of letters from a senior demon, Screwtape, to his nephew, a junior "tempter" named Wormwood, so as to advise him on methods of securing the damnation of a British man, known only as "the Patient".

Screwtape holds an administrative post in the bureaucracy ("Lowerarchy") of Hell, and acts as a mentor to Wormwood, the inexperienced tempter. In the body of the thirty-one letters which make up the book, Screwtape gives Wormwood detailed advice on various methods of undermining faith and promoting sin in the Patient, interspersed with observations on human nature and Christian doctrine. Wormwood and Screwtape live in a peculiarly morally reversed world, where individual benefit and greed are seen as the greatest good, and neither demon is capable of comprehending or acknowledging true human virtue when he sees it.



My Rating & Thoughts:    


I struggled at times with following or understanding exactly what was being discussed at times. I tried listening to the audiobook while reading physically and that did help a bit. It also really helped that I participated in a book club discussion for this which helped me process some of the stuff. It did get me thinking about how the devil tries to turn us from God and how to avoid those moments as much as possible. However I struggled with the writing style. I would never have finished this book if it wasn't for the book club. 

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment