Thursday, March 14, 2024

The Captain's Daughter by Jennifer Delamere (Review)

Series: London Beginnings #1
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: June 6, 2017
333 pages
About the Book:

When a series of circumstances beyond her control leave Rosalyn Bernay alone and penniless in London, she chances upon a job backstage at a theater which is presenting the most popular show in London. A talented musician and singer, she feels immediately at home and soon becomes enthralled with the idea of pursuing a career on the stage.

An injury during a skirmish in India has forced Nate Moran out of the army until he recovers. Filling his time at a stable of horses for hire in London, he has also spent the past two months working nights as a stagehand, filling in for his injured brother. Although he’s glad he can help his family through a tough time, he is counting the days until he can rejoin his regiment. London holds bitter memories for him that he is anxious to escape. But then he meets the beautiful woman who has found a new lease on life in the very place Nate can’t wait to leave behind.

 

My Rating & Thoughts:    


Rosalind has been a lady's companion for a wealthy woman for the last 6 years, but then something happens with the new husband and Rosalind must leave. She ends up in London and after some harrowing events is penniless and alone. She ends up a theater where she meets some wonderful people. I especially loved Jessie and how she quickly befriended Rosalind and took her in. I wish she had been involved in more of the story. Nate and his family are others who befriend Rosalind. Nate's family was really entertaining as they spoke their mind and tried to encourage a relationship between Nate and Rosalind. The time spent at the theatre was interesting, I now want to know more about the play the HMS Pinafore. I have heard of it, but never seen it. I felt like Rosalind was a bit naive when it came to a particular character and his motivations, especially after the events with her previous employer and her first experience in London. I really enjoyed getting to know these characters and was rooting for a relationship to develop, however the ending disappointed me. I think it should have been fleshed out a bit more and felt wrapped up too quickly. I am interested in continuing the series and hope we will see some of these characters again.

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment