Saturday, March 26, 2022

Review: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Genre: Classic 
Released: 1869
566 pages
About the Book:

As a New England mother struggles to support her family in the wake of her husband’s service in the Civil War, her four daughters struggle, too - caught between childhood dreams and the realities of burgeoning adulthood. For Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy March, raised in integrity and virtue, negotiating the right path in life means making choices that will either narrow or expand their destinies.

Based on the author’s life, Little Women transcends genre, gender, and class with its examination of personal quests, societal restrictions, family ties, and the end of innocence.




  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


What makes a classic a classic? Why is this book so raved about? There are so many people that enjoy this book, but I found this story to be incredibly boring and hard to read. I felt like it was only because I have seen the movie version that even I understood what was happening at certain times. I realize that this was written in the 1860s so obviously the writing style and language was much different to books written in the 21st century, and I struggled. There were chapters I did enjoy more than others and my favourite character was Beth. I felt like she was the most compassionate, unselfish character of the bunch. I was liking the girls and Laurie for the most part but once they started falling in love I did not enjoy or understand their choices in a few of the matches. It is very rare for me to dnf a book once I start it so I kept reading in hopes that it would improve and to finish it. I don’t feel like it improved but I did finish it and now I can say yes I have read this but have no plans to read it again. 

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment