Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Stormy Lake by L.D. Stauth

Series: A Campground Mystery # 1
Genre: Mystery/Suspense
Publisher: Word Alive Press
Released: April 30,
329 pages

About the Book:

A camping trip with creepy spiders and menacing thunderstorms? Seriously?

Little did Maya realize those fears would be the least of her worries. Maya Montgomery is in desperate need of a vacation. When her best friend, Karly Foster, convinces her that a camping trip in Northern Ontario will be the remedy she needs, Maya is skeptical. After all, she has never camped a day in her life.
 
The moment Kerrick Kendall, park superintendent at Lake Williwaw Campground, lays eyes on the novice camper with the dancing freckles and large coffee-coloured eyes, he feels compelled to tell her his story. But is opening up old wounds worth the risk?
 
From frightening encounters with nature, to non-stop—often humourous—bickering between her friend Karly and an irritating park employee, the trip is filled with conflict.  But when Maya suspects she is being stalked, everything else that has happened pales in comparison. As danger escalates will Kerrick be able to protect the life of the woman who has captured his heart?
 

My Rating & Thoughts:    🌟 ðŸŒŸ ðŸŒŸ ðŸŒŸ 🌟  (5 stars)

 
“God does his best work when we are broken.”
 
This book was written by a local author that attends my in-laws church. This is her debut novel and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for her next one.
 
Ms. Stauth has done an amazing job of combining intrigue, suspense, and romance with faith lessons throughout. Maya is going on her first camping trip ever with best friend Karly. She is unsure about the whole thing at first and just as she is starting to get comfortable with her new surroundings strange things begin to happen. And then things take a turn even worse. Can the two park employees, which they have struck up a friendship with, provide the safety they need? Who can and can’t they trust? I did not want to put this down; I had to know what was going to happen next.
 
Ms. Stauth did a wonderful job of describing all the events, I found myself immersed the camp life with the girls and jumping at every sound. I was cheering for all four main characters and enjoyed the different bonds of friendship displayed. The banter between Karly and Blake was really entertaining and I laughed out loud throughout. Both Kerrick and Karly could put Blake in his place in different ways, but through everything he did Blake grew on me and I wanted him to be okay. Kerrick has a heart for God and feels God prompting him to share his story with Maya, but where that leads may take him on a path he is not ready for, but it will be the path that is best. The character I related the most to was Maya, I understood her out of her element fears, her naivety when it came to camping and I also can’t stand bugs, spiders or snakes. I would have reacted the same as her in many scenes. I enjoyed that there were many lighthearted moments mixed in with the heavier suspense filled ones.
 
“The thought of impaling a slippery, slimy worm in hopes of catching a slippery, slimy fish appealed to her about as much as getting another case of poison ivy.”

 
“He (God) can use everything that happens to us for our good, although we may not understand the good it will accomplish until we get to heaven.”

(I borrowed this book from my mother-in-law; opinions expressed
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment