Tuesday, August 13, 2024

The Gold Digger by Liz Tolsma (Review)

Series: True Colors #9
Genre: Historical Suspense
Publisher: Barbour Publishing
Released: December 1, 2020
248 pages
About the Book:

Men Are Disappearing in LaPorte, Indiana

In 1907, shy but loyal Ingrid Storset travels from Norway to support her grieving sister, Belle Gunness, who owns a farm in LaPorte, Indiana. Well-to-do widow Belle, who has lost two husbands and several children, provides Ingrid with enough money to start a small business. But Ingrid is confused by the string of men Belle claims to be interviewing for her next husband. When Nils Lindherud comes to town looking for his missing brother, who said he was going to marry Belle, Ingrid has a sinking feeling her sister is up to no good.








My Rating & Thoughts:    


I loved it! Nils brother Sven has disappeared after leaving the family home and headed to Belle Gunness' farm. Nils comes to town to try to get some answers of where his brother may be. He quickly discovers that other men have disappeared after being headed to Belle's farm. As he's searching for answers he meets Ingrid (Belle's sister), and the two form a connection. I was quickly hooked and had suspicions of what had happened to the men but for Ingrid's safe I hoped I was wrong. I loved the bond that formed between Nils and Ingrid and even they though they didn't always agree on their opinions they respected and supported one another. There is a strong faith element included with the characters learning to trust God and that He will be there for him through everything. I loved how we see them grow and realize what is important over time. Ingrid realizes she is much stronger than she ever thought and with God's help can handle whatever comes her way. We know some gruesome acts have taken place but they are not described in detail on the page. I had to make myself put the book down so I could get some sleep, but I wanted to keep reading. This was the first book that I've ever read by the this author, but it won't be the last.

Favourite Quote: 
“When he tried to rely on himself, he was a miserable failure. He needed God's strength. Every good gift came from above.”
(I borrowed a copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment