Sunday, March 31, 2024

Death by the Book by Julianna Deering (Review)

Series: Drew Fathering Mystery #2
Genre: Mystery/Suspense
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: March 4, 2014
316 pages
About the Book:

Drew Farthering wanted nothing more than to end the summer of 1932 with the announcement of his engagement. Instead, he finds himself caught up in another mysterious case when the family solicitor is found murdered, an antique hatpin with a cryptic message, Advice to Jack, piercing his chest.

Evidence of secret meetings and a young girl's tearful confession point to the victim's double life, but what does the solicitor's murder have to do with the murder of a physician on the local golf course? Nothing, it would seem--except for another puzzling note, affixed with a similar-looking bloodied hatpin.

Soon the police make an arrest in connection with the murders, but Drew isn't at all certain they have the right suspect in custody. And why does his investigation seem to be drawing him closer and closer to home?



 

My Rating & Thoughts:    ⭐⭐


Drew's solicitor is murdered just before a meeting he has scheduled with Drew and detective Birdsong allows Drew to accompany him while searching for answers. A few other murders happen and notes are left with each body but other than the notes there doesn't seem to be any connections between the victims. Meanwhile Madeline's aunt arrives from America determined to bring Madeline home to America. Aunt Ruth spoke her mind and was entertaining. I enjoyed following Drew, Nick and Madeline trying to piece the clues together and figure out what was going on. The romance from book one continues, but this time it didn't bother me and I was actually rooting for the couple. I could not figure out the mystery, the notes had me stumped. I was shocked by the reveal at the end. Again I loved the friendship banter between Drew and Nick. I am interested to see what is going to happen next with these characters and will be continuing the series.

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment