Saturday, April 22, 2023

Review: Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

Genre: Classic 
Released: 1872
225 pages
About the Book:

Pragmatic gambler Phileas Fogg has made a gentlemanly wager to the members of his exclusive club: that he can circle the world in just eighty days, right down to the minute. Fetching his newly appointed French valet, Fogg embarks on a fabulous journey across land and sea - by steamer, rail, and elephant - to win the bet of a lifetime.

Inspired by Jules Verne’s own sea travels and his fascination with circumnavigating the globe, the avid dreamer’s picaresque voyage inspired generations of adventurers who were eager to best Verne’s challenge - from nineteenth-century journalist Nellie Bly to Monty Python’s Michael Palin.






My Rating & Thoughts:    

I read this for a readathon and was a little unsure about it going in because I don’t have the best relationship with Classics. I liked the way the book started and was interested to see where it would go. I did get a bit bogged down and bored in the middle as I struggled picturing what was happening. While I like the character of Phileas it was his valet, Passepartout that I was truly invested in. When they got separated from one another I became worried about Passepartout and was anxious to find out if he was okay. I absolutely loved the ending; the surprise was perfect and made the book for me.


(I inherited my copy of this book from my dad; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment