Sunday, September 4, 2022

Review: Becca by the Book by Laura Jensen Walker

Series: Getaway Girls #3
Genre: Women's Fiction 
Publisher: Zondervan 
Released: Dec. 27, 2009
320 pages

About the Book:

Adventurous, off-beat Becca Daniels will try almost anything-purple hair, skydiving, even her book club's crazy challenge. To prove she's not commitment-phobic, Becca agrees to twenty-five dates with whoever asks her out next. When churchy Ben-definitely not Becca's type-calls, the hilarious and eye-opening dates could lead to Becca's greatest adventure yet.











  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


Becca is another one of the book club girls, but the only one who is not a Christian. Due to events from her past Becca has become very jaded against Christianity in general but the girls in her group are an exception. This story revolves around Becca trying to decide what she wants to do with her life. During a discussion about her inability to commit to anything, the book club girls bet her she can’t go on 25 days with the next guy who asks her out. Trying to prove the girls wrong Becca strives to prove the girls she can commit. However, the next guy to ask her out is Ben who happens to be a Christian and has served in missions. Because of this Becca is exposed to church and the Bible more than ever before. I struggled to connect with Becca or the whole dating premise. Majority of the so-called dates her and Ben went on didn’t really seem like dates and why did Ben even agree to participate in this bet? I did not understand his motivation. It was interesting to see Becca experience different types of churches and discuss Christian terms and phrases she didn’t recognize with the book club girls. I did enjoy that I could spend more time with the characters from books one and two. And I was pleased to see how Chloe’s life has changed in the last few years. However I was disappointed with Paige’s storyline, it just didn’t feel like the Paige I had come to know in book two. I was disappointed in the way the story ended. Overall I found this story boring with not much character growth and Becca’s attitude began to get on my nerves at times. I found myself caring more about Lucy’s story, who was a very minor character, than I did Becca. While I didn’t love the previous two books, I enjoyed them more than this one. 


(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment