Saturday, September 3, 2022

Review: Turning the Paige by Laura Jensen Walker

Series: Getaway Girls #2
Genre: Women's Fiction 
Publisher: Zondervan 
Released: March 15, 2009
317 pages

About the Book:

Welcome to the in-between world of Paige Kelley.

At thirty-five, she’s put her dreams on hold to care for her ailing, high-maintenance mother. Three years after her divorce she’s still not dating, still working at her temp job, and still longing for motherhood even though, as her own mother often points out, “You’re not getting any younger, you know!”

When her Getaway Girls book club friends urge Paige to break free and get on with her life, she desperately wants to try. But how? What about her mom? The unexpected answers come from a surprising source. A trip to Scotland and a potential new love interest help launch an exciting new chapter in her life.





  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


I appreciated that this book carried over the characters I had come to know in the first book and added some new ones as well. In this one we are following Paige, the 35-year-old divorcee who is the primary caregiver for her mom. I enjoyed following along in the everyday life situations these characters encounter. From the book club adventures, engagements, weddings, job changes, family obligations and new friendships formed. Each time one of Annie’s t-shirt slogans was shared it made me smile. I did feel pulled in two different directions in how I should feel about the relationship between Paige and her mom. Paige puts her own needs and wants aside to devote to her mom, but was her selflessness too much? While I liked the scenes with Marc, Paige and Annie the flower lessons got a bit too scientific for me at times. I love that Paige and her sister were able to repair their relationship through the trip to Scotland. It was fun to visit Scotland with them and reminisce about some of the same sights I saw when visiting Edinburgh a few years ago.  I absolutely loved the way the book ended. It put a huge smile on my face.


Favourite Quote: 
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. ... Explore. Dream. Discover.” (quoting Mark Twain)
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment