Sunday, July 8, 2018

Jane Reviews: Iron Annie and A Long Journey by Lisa M. Hutchison

Genre: Biography/Memoir
Publisher: Word Alive Press
Released: Feb. 28, 2018
230 pages
About the Book:
When Charlotte met Albert, the handsome Lufthansa pilot, she was sure their lives together would be nothing but bliss and happiness. Little did she know what was in store for her and her family.

It was the 1930s and the clouds of war were gathering all around them. Albert, by now a Major in the Luftwaffe had been deployed to Hitler's private fleet of planes.

When WWII broke out Charlotte and Albert's world fell apart. They would endure long separations, the losses of children, their home and eventually their country.

This is a family story of epic proportions, a thrilling page turner with incredible twists and turns of fate and destinies; heartbreaking as well as hilariously funny at times.

Will Albert and Charlotte survive? Will their love for each other be strong enough?

And who is Iron Annie? Be surprised, it is not who you think.

Immerse yourself in a true story of an ordinary German family caught up in the horrors of war.


 
My Rating & Thoughts:    🌟 🌟 🌟 ðŸŒŸ    (4 stars)

I have to admit before reading this book I did not know much about what German families went through during WWII. It was eye-opening and heart-breaking to learn what this family, along with so many others, experienced before, during and after the war. As heartbreaking as it was I couldn’t put the book down, I had to know what happened with Albert and his family. I enjoyed that even through the hard and depressing times there were moments that allowed laughter. The determination of the father, his willingness to do whatever needed to improve things for his family and the love he showered on them was inspiring. The faith of the Albert and the love shared between the family members shone through. There was a nice balance between the inclusion of historical information and the personal, human side. I feel this balance between the two helped me connect more with the book and wanting to know how things turned out for the family members. I did struggle with a couple things while reading, one being the use of German words that I did not know and needed to look up to understand. Secondly, there were times where some people were introduced and later reappeared but I struggled to remember when we had met them. However these two things did not take away from what I got out of this story. I am so glad that I read this book, I now know much more about what families experienced during WWII. I definitely recommend reading this book to others.


Iron Annie Quotes

(I received a copy of this book from the author, opinions expressed
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment