Sunday, June 9, 2024

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (Review)

Genre: Biography/Memoir
Publisher: Tyndale House 
Released: January 1, 1971
About the Book:

The Hiding Place is Corrie ten Boom’s personal story of faith, forgiveness, and love for the persecuted Jewish community during the World War II Nazi invasion and occupation of Holland. Part of an underground resistance movement, Corrie and her family risked their lives to hide Jewish friends within a secret wall space of the Beje, their beloved clock shop and home in Haarlem, Netherlands. Her heroic actions eventually led to her arrest and imprisonment at Ravensbrück, the German Reich’s largest concentration camp for women.






  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


The book was both enlightening and disturbing to read what Corrie and her family experienced during this time in history. How can anyone treat other humans this way? The faith and dedication to God demonstrated by the family was inspiring. I enjoyed that the book covered her growing up years, the resistance work, and time spent in prison and then a bit of her work after her release. I learned so much from this book, and it challenged me to think about how I would respond if I were in her situation. I did struggle with the writing style at times as it would jump within a chapter. I knew a bit of this story before reading it and was shocked to discover how old Corrie was when the imprisonment happened. The ending was a full circle moment when Betsy's vision became a reality for Corrie.

Two particular parts stick out to me - 1. Corrie seeing how Besty transformed her jail cell into a place that felt more comfortable just by the way the coats and mats were arranged. 2. How Betsy would thank God for everything around them, the good and the bad.

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment