Monday, April 15, 2019

Jane Reviews: Healing Love by Jennifer Slattery

Genre: Women's Fiction
Released: July 20, 2017
308 pages
About the Book:
A news anchor intern has it all planned out, and love isn't on the agenda.

Brooke Endress is on the cusp of her lifelong dream when her younger sister persuades her to chaperone a mission trip to El Salvador. Packing enough hand sanitizer and bug spray to single-handedly wipe out malaria, she embarks on what she hopes will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

But Brooke is blindsided by the desperation for hope and love she sees in the eyes of the orphans she encounters. And no less by the connection she feels with her handsome translator. As newfound passion blooms, Brooke wrestles with its implications for her career dreams.

Ubaldo Chavez, teacher and translator, knows the struggle that comes with generational poverty. But he found the way out – education – and is determined to help his students rise above.

When he agrees to translate for a mission team from the United States he expects to encounter a bunch of "missional tourists" full of empty promises. Yet an American news anchor defies his expectations, and he finds himself falling in love. But what does he have to offer someone with everything?


  
My Rating & Thoughts:    🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟    (4 stars) 

Brooke was the character that I identified the most with. She is in the process of trying to get her career off the ground when she gets pulled into going on a mission trip with her sister. She struggles with leaving the comfort of home and spending her vacation in a poverty stricken country, but this experience changes her in ways she could never have imagined. I enjoyed watching Brooke grow, learn to trust God and in the process find her calling in life.

The descriptions made me feel like I was in El Salvador right alongside the mission’s team. The situations that the kids were facing, in particular Fatima and Dinora, pulled at my heart strings. I shed tears over the course of the story. However the ending left hope for a much improved future.
 
The message I take away from this story is that God has your best interests at heart, but we have to fully trust Him with everything.
 
 
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)



No comments:

Post a Comment