Thursday, April 13, 2017

Murder at the Courthouse by A.H. Gabhart

Released: October 13, 2015
338 pages
Series: Hidden Springs Mystery # 1

About the Book:
 
After a few years as a police officer in Columbus, Michael Keane has no trouble relaxing into the far less stressful job of deputy sheriff in his small hometown. After all, nothing ever happens in Hidden Springs, Kentucky. Nothing, that is, until a dead body is discovered on the courthouse steps. Everyone in town is a little uneasy. Still, no one is terribly worried--after all the man was a stranger--until one of their own is murdered right on Main Street.
 
As Michael works to solve the case it seems that every nosy resident in town has a theory. When the sheriff insists Michael check out one of these harebrained theories, his surprising discovery sends him on a bewildering search for a mysterious killer that has him questioning everything he has ever believed about life in Hidden Springs.
 
Bringing with her a knack for creating settings you want to visit and an uncanny ability to bring characters to life, A. H. Gabhart pens a whodunit that will keep readers guessing.
 
My Rating & Thoughts:    🌟 🌟 🌟 (3 stars)

Hidden Springs, Kentucky is filled with many unique characters, a troubled teen and a deputy sheriff you can’t help but be drawn to. The book has the typical small-town feel where everyone knows everyone’s business (at least they think they do) and no one believes a murder could happen in their town, but as the investigation progresses more surprises arise. Can Michael find the killer and help the teen at the same time? I especially enjoyed the interaction between Michael and Hank, they had the typical reporter / cop interactions which had me laughing at times. There were times I found the story to move slowly and keeping track of all the characters along with their theories straight was a big difficult. I was suspicious of a certain someone thinking they could be the murderer, however I don’t think it was a dead giveaway, but I did have an “I knew it” moment when it was revealed. The town will be forever changed after this reveal. I also enjoyed the interactions between Michael & Alex, their connection was obvious, but while one is big city and one is small town can a relationship work, or what happens between Michael & Karen? I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens. I look forward to spending more time with these characters in future books.
 
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment