Sunday, June 12, 2022

Review: The Innocent Man by John Grisham

Genre: Non-Fiction
Publisher: Dell
Released: Nov. 20, 2007
435 pages
About the Book:

In the town of Ada, Oklahoma, Ron Williamson was going to be the next Mickey Mantle. But on his way to the Big Leagues, Ron stumbled, his dreams broken by drinking, drugs, and women. Then, on a winter night in 1982, not far from Ron’s home, a young cocktail waitress named Debra Sue Carter was savagely murdered. The investigation led nowhere. Until, on the flimsiest evidence, it led to Ron Williamson. The washed-up small-town hero was charged, tried, and sentenced to death—in a trial littered with lying witnesses and tainted evidence that would shatter a man’s already broken life, and let a true killer go free.






  


My Rating & Thoughts:    

This book tells the story of men wrongfully convicted of murder and their exoneration. It focuses primarily on one man, but we learn about others as well. It was heartbreaking to learn how this happens in the first place and how often it happens. I do understand that tremendous pressure is put on law enforcement to solve cases but there needs to be caution taken to ensure the innocent don’t get caught up in the system. In fact a prime suspect was overlooked in this case because of his relationship with a few cops. Ron had some psychological issues prior to his incarceration, but his time in jail made it so much worse and he went downhill. The things his family went through was truly heart-wrenching. Thankfully the case was finally reviewed, with things being brought to light such as lying witnesses and tainted evidence that had been used to convict Ron. Ron spent way too many years in jail for a crime he did not commit. In the end Ron was freed, but the remainder of his life was a hard on everyone associated with him. While I struggle with the actions of the police officers and the district attorney, I also know that we are presented with a one-sided view in this book.

There were times I found the story a bit too detailed for my liking with so many people to keep tract of. I think it was longer than it really needed to be with so much detail given to Ron’s childhood and the addition of some of the other cases. There was also some language used that I did not appreciate. Overall this story makes me concerned that innocent people are convicted more than we want to think. 

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment