Monday, June 27, 2022

Review: The Litigators by John Grisham

Genre: Legal Thriller
Publisher: Dell
Released: Oct. 25, 2011
470 pages
About the Book:

The partners at Finley & Figg often refer to themselves as a “boutique law firm.” Boutique, as in chic, selective, and prosperous. Oscar Finley and Wally Figg are none of these things. They are a two-bit operation of ambulance chasers who bicker like an old married couple. Until change comes their way—or, more accurately, stumbles in. After leaving a fast-track career and going on a serious bender, David Zinc is sober, unemployed, and desperate enough to take a job at Finley & Figg.
 
Now the firm is ready to tackle a case that could make the partners rich—without requiring them to actually practice much law. A class action suit has been brought against Varrick Labs, a pharmaceutical giant with annual sales of $25 billion, alleging that Krayoxx, its most popular drug, causes heart attacks. Wally smells money. All Finley & Figg has to do is find a handful of Krayoxx users to join the suit. It almost seems too good to be true . . . and it is.



My Rating & Thoughts:    

I really enjoyed the way this book started. The first couple of chapters introduced the main characters and made me intrigued and wanting to know what was going to happen. This book showcases some street lawyers who have been slogging away with divorce cases and the willingness to sue anyone, they are dreaming of making it rich someday with a big case. On the other side you have the big firms with the highly paid lawyers who can throw money at any problem to make it go away. In between we have David who is trying to practice law the way it should be. Figg is sure that this Krayoxx case is going to make him rich but as they get closer and closer to the trial date facts emerge that reveal they cannot win this case, however they have sunk so much money into it at this point that they can’t just walk away. I was much more interested in David’s side case of the lead poisoning them the drug Krayoxx case. I really enjoyed following David’s perspective and liked the support that his wife, Helen, gave him throughout. I couldn’t help but laugh at some of the antics of those at the firm of Finley & Figg. The cast of characters kept me entertained and I needed to know what was going to happen. I was pleased with the way the story ended for David. There is some language and some sexual references that really did not add to the story and had me questioning if I should keep reading. Overall I found the story moved slowly at times but I was invested in the characters and that kept me reading. 

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment