Saturday, July 2, 2022

Review: My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Publisher: Bethany House
Released: May 1, 2012
355 pages
About the Book:

Kate Donovan is burned out on work, worn down by her dating relationships, and in need of an adventure. When her grandmother asks Kate to accompany her to Redbud, Pennsylvania, to restore the grand old house she grew up in, Kate jumps at the chance,takes a leave of absence from her job as a social worker, and the two of them set off.Upon her arrival in Redbud, Kate meets Matt Jarreau, the man her grandmother has hired to renovate the house. From the first moment she meets Matt, Kate can't help but be attracted to him--he's got a combination of good looks and charisma that draw and tug at her. But she knows there's zero chance of a romance between them. Matt's in love with his dead wife, and even if he weren't, Kate realizes that she's way too ordinary for him. For Matt Jarreau is no ordinary guy. Kate discovers that he was once a great NHL hockey player who left the sport when his wife--an honest-to-goodness former Miss America--was diagnosed with brain cancer. Matt's been hiding from people, from God, and from his past ever since. Yet Kate is absolutely determined to befriend him, to try to reach him, to help him in some small way.No, Kate's not looking for love. She knows better than that by now. But when the stilted, uncomfortable interactions between Kate and Matt slowly shift into something more, is God finally answering the longing of her heart? Or will Kate be required to give up more than she ever dreamed?  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


This was my second time reading this story, it was 10 years ago when I first read this book. While I enjoyed the story and the characters I did not find myself falling in love with the characters as much as I remember doing so the first time around. I enjoyed the premise of the story with the restoration of an older home and a granddaughter hanging out with her grandmother and her friends. I really enjoyed the antics of the seniors and them dragging Matt (the contractor) & Kate into their weekly poker night. However, as I don’t believe in any form of gambling I did not like the fact that were playing for money, couldn’t it have just been a games night? 

Matt & Kate are at two very different points in their relationship with God and this causes quite a few struggles between them. Kate is trying to pull Matt out of his dark place and show him that God is there for him. There is a point where Kate makes a decision that left me heartbroken for both characters. I felt confident that the story would not end there, and thankfully it didn’t however the last portion felt a bit rushed and that they didn’t really work through the issues. 

On a side note, I was bothered by Velma demanding that Morty make some changes before she would date him. I did really enjoy the faith element of the story and the characters trying to listen to God’s direction, I just struggled with some of the choices. 

Favourite Quote: 

“Funny thing about prayers. God hears them. But you just never know if, when, or how He's going to answer them.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment