Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Review: Things I Never Told You by Beth K. Vogt

Series: Thatcher Sisters #1
Genre: Women's Fiction 
Publisher: Tyndale House 
Released: May 8, 2018
432 pages
About the Book:

It's been ten years since Payton Thatcher's twin sister died in an accident, leaving the entire family to cope in whatever ways they could. No longer half of a pair, Payton reinvents herself as a partner in a successful party-planning business and is doing just fine--as long as she manages to hold her memories and her family at arm's length.

But with her middle sister Jillian's engagement, Payton's party-planning skills are called into action. Which means working alongside her opinionated oldest sister, Johanna, who always seems ready for a fight. They can only hope that a wedding might be just the occasion to heal the resentment and jealousy that divides them . . . until a frightening diagnosis threatens Jillian's plans and her future. As old wounds are reopened and the family faces the possibility of another tragedy, the Thatchers must decide if they will pull together or be driven further apart.



  

My Rating & Thoughts:    


This is book 1 of a series which features three sisters. Payten, the youngest is the main character of this one with Jillian, the middle sister, as a secondary character. POV regularly switches between the sisters. Jillian has just gotten engaged and then discovers she has a life-threatening illness. Payten lost her twin sister 10 years ago and has recently begun having dreams of her. She is haunted by her sister’s death and is searching for peace but has no use for God. An old friend Zach re-enters her life wanting to apologize for his actions of the past and even though she pushes him away numerous times he is determined to help her work through her issues and show her that God cares. The story deals with some tough circumstances.

I struggled to connect with Payten, she pushed everyone away and was determined to handle everything on her own. I became very invested in Jillian’s story and when I was reading her parts I didn’t want to switch to any other characters. I liked majority of the secondary characters, especially the two best friends and the fiancé. But I did not like the older sister, Johanna. She irked me and I wanted her to listen to what the sisters were trying to tell her and to just back off.  There was one point where she does something sweet for Jillian but then ruins the gesture in the next moment by trying to control Jillian’s life again.

I hated the way this ended, I was left dumbfounded with the way it was left so unfinished. I realize this is book 1 of a series, but it ended so abruptly. Payten was a point where she needed to make some decisions in both her personal and professional life but we are left with no clues as to what she decides. My big question is, will she learn to lean on God for comfort. 


Favourite Quote: 
“Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day.”

(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment