Saturday, May 13, 2023

Review: One Final Breath by Lynn H. Blackburn

Series: Dive Team Investigations #3
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Revell
Released: Sept. 3, 2019
315 pages
About the Book:

When investigator Gabriel Chavez had his cover blown by an aggressive reporter, the silver lining was being able to rejoin the dive team. The downside? Dive team captain Anissa Bell--a woman who both fascinates and frustrates him.

Anissa grew up as a missionary kid on the Micronesian island of Yap and always planned to return after college. But she remained stateside, determined to solve the case that haunts her--the murder of her best friend and the disappearance of a three-year-old child.

When Anissa's fractured past collides with Gabe's investigation into the tragic shooting death of a teenage boy in Lake Porter, they'll have to put their complicated history with each other aside in order to uncover the identity of a killer. What they'll discover is that revenge has no statute of limitations.


My Rating & Thoughts:    

After reading the previous two books of this series I was already pretty attached to each of the characters, so I was excited to begin this one and spend more time with them. While I enjoyed the mystery aspect, it was the romance between Gabe and Anissa that really pulled me in. I liked that Gabe took the risk and shared his feelings with Anissa when he wasn’t sure how she would react. I also appreciated that there was no big disagreement or misunderstanding that would cause a rift in their relationship that tends to be so common in storylines to keep readers invested.

On the mystery side, the story opens with Gabe and Anissa responding to a shooting. While chasing down leads they discover a possible connection to a cold case Anissa has never stopped investigating. Will they be able to solve this cold case and catch the shooter before someone else gets hurt? I enjoyed feeling like I was right there with the team trying to solve the mysteries. The cold case story pulled at my heart strings and had me shedding a few tears at times.

I did not want to put this book down. I was sad to say goodbye to this group of friends. 


Favourite Quote: 
“Sometimes God calls his children to sacrifice everything and serve him in far-flung places. Sometimes God calls his children to sacrifice everything and serve him in the up-close spaces. In the hospital, the courtroom, the classroom, the sheriff's office. Staying put and doing the hard work right where you are takes the same obedience, the same passion for the Lord, as any other calling.”
(I purchased my copy of this book; opinions expressed 
in this review are my honest opinion and completely my own.)

Other books from this author that I have reviewed:   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment